17 Oct Benefits of Walking and other exercise during a Divorce
During a divorce the first thought that came to my mind about walking was a song by Nancy Sinatra ‘These boots were made for walking’ and the vision that I am going to walk right away from my ex!!
‘You keep saying you got something for me
Something you call love but confess
You’ve been a’messin’ where you shouldn’t ‘ve been a’messin’
And now someone else is getting all your best
Well, these boots are made for walking, and that’s just what they’ll do
One of these days these boots are gonna walk all over you’
However walking turned out to be one of the most healing experiences of my own divorce. Breakups and divorce effect so many parts of your life, so I advocate battling it with an activity that encourages healing on all levels one of these activities is exercise and I choose walking. Anyone can take up walking as you can tailor it to you lifestyle, your fitness and your time.
There are many benefits of walking during divorce, and improving your mental and emotional well-being is just one of them.
There are many benefits of walking during a divorce:-
- Social activity – if you don’t want to walk alone you can join a walking group and this often helps as divorce can make you feel like hiding away and avoiding social contact. It’s a great way to meet new friends.
- Me time – during a divorce you need to look after yourself and create me-time. Walking recharges your batteries and allows you to have clarity of thinking and visualizing your future.
- Connecting with nature – nature has a wonderful effect on the body. Walking in nature triggers a rush of “happy” chemicals called endorphins that which help when you’re going through tough times. Endorphins your body produces during physical activity can stabilize your mood, help battle depression, and make you feel better overall. Just spending time in the sun breathing fresh air and looking at nature allows your body to relax and your mind to unwind. Take in the scenery as you walk and appreciate natures natural magic, it allows you to remember that life is beautiful, and that life does go on.
- Walking significantly reduces stress, quite often during a divorce your body is running on adrenaline and prolonged periods can adversely affect your health. Walking significantly cancels the adrenaline by the release of the endorphins. Alleviating stress you will feel better, sleep better and think more clearly with increased energy. A divorce can often result in your stress levels being so high that they are drawing all your energy and preventing you from concentrating.
- Quite often weight fluctuations are problematic during the breakup and divorce period. Gaining or losing weight fast is absolutely not healthy. Walking regularly will help control your appetite and encourage you to make better food choices A good diet will not only help you control your weight but also make you feel stronger and more focused on whatever obstacle comes your way.
- Walking can also help you regain your confidence, the rush of endorphins makes the world look brighter again, offer relief and helps you gain clarity and relief. If you look better you feel better.
Get Walking Today!
Get in Touch